In this episode, Hugh chats to AFL star, Jack Watts. Jack felt the weight of the world (or at least thousands of Melbourne Dees fans) on his shoulders when he became the number 1 draft pick in 2008. Facing constant criticism for not living up to expectations, he then had to deal with a scandal that broke out involving some compromising photos and questionable behaviour. Hugh talks to Jack about dealing with criticism in both his professional and personal life, and how he is trying to rebuild his life and reputation one step at a time.
Ryan and Hugh then go on to discuss:
- What empathy/kindness is and why it’s so important to practice
- How you and your family can practice kindness
- The link between empathy and mindfulness
- Moving up or down the mental health spectrum
- Book: Lost Connections by Johann Hari